Links

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Sabah snake grass that I grew in my house compound

The scientific name for it was Clinacanthus Nutans (Burm.F.) Lindau [1]. In Malaya, it is called daun belalai gajah.
It is also used in traditional herbal medicine for treating skin rashes, insects and snake bites, lesions caused by herpes simplex virus, diabetes, and gout in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and China [2].

One of my friend found that this leaves helps to ease his rapid heart beat when the high blood pressure attacks. And body feels lighter from fatigue each time after consumption. The one that he grew only as long as my index finger, 3 times smaller than mine (refer picture below).


I plant this herb in my house compound and only use kitchen waste compost as fertilizer for it. I am restraining myself from using man made fertilizer as I want my plant to be organic. Where I could pluck and eat it any time I want without fear of food poisoning or any other side effect. The same goes with my flowers. Since I have cats in the house and my cats sometimes do lick and munch on the plants in their surrounding. Being safe is better than sorry. 
Yesterday, one of my cat munch on this leaf almost 1 and half of it. I am really surprised with that. Even my cats know the value of the leaf.


The size of the leaves that I grew. I myself surprised with such huge output. Loving it.
This plant is easily grew using stem cutting. I do notice that this plant grew more during rainy season. I normally water the plant 2 times daily. Morning and each time I reach home (evening/night).

Till then, have a good day ahead.

[1] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinacanthus_nutans
[2] http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1995764516300116

No comments:

Post a Comment