Links

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

The advantage of not panic when in distress

I happen to fall into a drain last 8 May 2016. Where the depth is as high as my ears when I stand in it. Fortunately the drain were slightly dry at that time. It happen around 8 pm while I was going to get my dinner with a friend.
We saw a fluffy cat at the side of the road, near the hostel area. I went to chase the cat and leave my handbag and phone in the car. The area were dark since the streetlight which are 4 of them, all were not functional. Basically a 3 quarter darkness that time. I was about to step over the drain, which I have scan it in a glance. Then, I suddenly fall into the drain. I was shocked that time. Since I was in disbelieve I could fall into the drain after my analysis. It happens that the drain were wider than normal drain in the faculty. My friend happens to shout asking me to just leave the cat and go. But I was too busy thinking and analyzing of ways to get out from the deep drain. Then, I get an idea.
The idea is shown below:
I use the technique as illustrated on the right part to climb out from the drain. Which my friend say I was like a stunt woman by doing so. Well, I prefer being a female McGyver than stunt woman
By the time I manage to sit at the side of the drain, my friend is able to see me after drove in the area. Basically my friend won't be able to lift me out from the drain since it is deep and I am very heavy. Which I could end up staying in the drain much longer and my energy will be drained that time. After I manage to sit in the car, we go straight to have our dinner. And afterwards, I went to KL that very night since I have presentation early in the morning.

Part that being affected during the fall:
a) The corner of the drain hit my right pubic bone area. Basically the area above pubic hair and also femur (thigh bone) area. That part have bruises almost 3 weeks. Could refer the below image that being highlighted in red circle.

b) deep scratches in left Gastrocnemius area and my left knee

I finally went to see doctor by 4.30 pm after finish the work in Putrajaya on 9 May 2016. The nurse and doctor in Klinik Kesihatan Putrajaya were all puzzled when I told them I fall into drain in UTM JB last night. And seek treatment there. Which is far away and it is not my home town. I again explained to them I am in Putrajaya for work.
The doctor diagnose I have no fracture since I can walk on my own. Well, I can't make a joke that I need to walk since I have no wheelchair since I won't have the strength to pull on my pants if I laugh. However doctor urge me to do x-ray in order to be safe. I was given pain killer and iodine for the scratches.
I manage to went do x-ray on 11 May 2016 in Pusat Kesihatan Taman Universiti, Skudai. The doctor suspected I bump on my coccyx area. But I do tell them, my coccyx where not injured during the fall. The doctors were like stupefied when I did explain well on my coccyx. Well, I do have biology background. And did once being an extremely skinny person which my coccyx suffer a lot when sit in a long duration.
Fortunately, no fracture at all. Still, I took 2 weeks to recover from the scratches. And additional 2 week for the bruises in the pubic bone area.
I am really glad that the toilet in my house were seated ones. And at that time, I really wanted to have a lift in the house. As my left knee make loud sound each time I climb up to my room.
Moral of the story, refrain yourself from doing or chasing things in dark environment. Make sure to avoid at any cost. And please refrain from do any work in order to have faster recovery process. And last but not least, staying calm and fast analytical thinking would help a lot than panic or wait for help
Till then, be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment