Links

Thursday, May 2, 2024

Helping out friend to harvest banana fruits

This is taken on the morning of 1 May 2024. I was visiting my friend to collect her gardening accessories. As she is giving it away since she is moving out.
My friend did not notice the yellow banana fruit on the second comb/bunch (sisir/sikat). She told me she checked by touching the banana fruits and it still not soften like the one sold at shops. Well that is not my way to do. Which I explained to her what I normally check to know the banana fruits is ready for harvest.
Comparison banana fruits size with my cleaver. It is quite plump and big. Yet it does not look like any of banana fruits that I have grown. 
Details of the harvest:
First comb/bunch (sisir/sikat) 9 unit banana fruits.
Second comb/bunch (sisir/sikat) 12 unit banana fruits.
Third comb/bunch (sisir/sikat) 12 unit banana fruits.
Fourth comb/bunch (sisir/sikat) 12 unit banana fruits.
Fifth comb/bunch (sisir/sikat) 11 unit banana fruits.
Total get 56 unit banana fruits.
My friend was shocked to see the total value of the counted banana fruits. Now she is able to understand why I always put list of my counted banana fruits inside my blog. I do forget to take picture of the cut banana fruits on its comb/bunch (sisir/sikat) in my phone.

Video of the harvesting session. Fortunately my friend does have the skill to use cleaver to chop off the tandan (stem) of the banana fruits.
My friend able to understand the difference between theory and practical for gardening works. Since she does have experience in joining online gardening class. After experiencing harvesting work today. I do explain a bit why cutting angle and tools play huge role in harvesting process.
Fortunately I bring my cleaver to her house. Which initially only intended to use the cleaver to chop open buah kelapa pandan (coconut fruit) that I want her to taste. Where eventually the cleaver helps big time the harvesting process. Since there is no machete or saw available there.
It was her first time harvesting banana fruits. From her first self grown banana tree. I am still unable to identify the banana type. Need to wait to taste it later once it is ripe.
Which is why I always advised others to plant banana tree that they like to eat and know. As when you plant unknown banana tree that you have never taste, there is possibility you might not like the banana fruits. Which waste of your time, effort and resources. Still, different people different ways and needs.
Regardless, it feel good to be able to help out. My friend did tell me that she targeting to harvest the banana fruits next week. Which might be too late and already consumed by birds. She did feel grateful and appreciate for my help in the harvest process.
I also learn one recipe from my friend. That fully utilize banana fruits. Basically it was a fruitful day spend yesterday for both of us. I am also proud and happy with her harvest. 
Until then, have fun in helping out friend harvesting their banana fruits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment