Links

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Repairing my surge arrester power extension

This is taken in the noon of 16 December 2019. I have to make custom item. Since I am afraid the item will short and affect the lab, I decided to repair my surge arrester extension first. As my surge arrester extension able to turn off the extension if there is any circuit short. Without having blackout in the whole floor during testing session later.

Disclaimer:
First of all, it is advised for you to have basic knowledge in electrical before start repairing any electrical appliances. As I prefer to practice to be safe than sorry. Although the repair process seems to look simple and straight forward, but the correct knowledge, skills and double checking is crucial and needed for it. Wrong steps might lead to small sparks that might become cause of big fire [1].
Therefore, please consult professionals and equip yourself with correct knowledge, skills and double checking before start to do self repair of electrical devices at home.

For this repair process, basic knowledge and skills that is crucial to have as follows:
1) basic connectors knowledge
2) basic soldering skill
3) trouble shooting skill
Last but not least is the correct repair tools.

The look of the red led lights when the switches being turned on. After being repaired.
The look of the switches in turn off condition.
The trouble shooting process:
First, I open the small part of the extension. Near the connection of cable power with extension body.
Nothing amiss there.
Then I open next compartment that consist of the copper line, switches and LEDs.
In soldering station for repair. Correct tools for the repair works.
Part that need to be repaired. After a trouble shooting process, found that this blue wire detached from the copper line. Basically no connection. 
After soldering process to attached back blue wire to copper line. I have to use additional tool to hold the blue wire during soldering process. As the wire becomes hotter during the process. That is why I strongly emphasize in using the correct tool and correct work step for the repair work.
It works. As the red led lights on when the switches in turned on condition.
I think this extension has been on hold for more than 6 months. Well, despite it took me less than 30 minutes to repair it. Still I need to be on good health condition to do repair works less than 30 minutes alone. Fortunately I have electrical background and have done lots of hands on works during my degree time. Seems like it does contribute for me to save some money by self repair my surge arrester extension.
Till then, have fun in repairing your existing extension at home.

Reference:
[1] Very important to match correctly ampere (A), power (W) and voltage (V) of your electronics and electrical devices to avoid short circuit and spark that might lead to big fire https://serinurulbeauty.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-importancy-in-using-correct-charger.html

No comments:

Post a Comment