Links

Thursday, October 7, 2021

Planting chili plant : is it easy?

I was asked this question from my high school friend. Whether is it really chili plant easier beinh attacked by beetle type pest? As she mentioned that her father stopped her from planting one. Well for sure, I would not suggest beginner or someone that never plant anything to start with chili plant.

Reason is because chili plant have a lot of admirers (attract lots of pest). Therefore will have short survival rate for a beginner to plant chili. Which may lead to disappointment and might become discouraged. But if they have a good mentor and willing to pay and learn*, they might able to pull it through.

The look of my red chili (cili padi) harvested last 25 September 2021.

Among chili plant pests that I have encountered so far is:

● thrips

● aphids [1]

● whiteflies

● leafminers

● mealybugs [2]

● birds [3]

● snails

● slugs

● fruit flies 

Which leads to tendency of others to use pesticide on chili plant. As for me, I have opted to use organic approach in my gardening work. Where I make my own pest control using home grown ingredients and also other organic option that is safe to use while my precious cat roam around my house compound. But when using organic approach in gardening works, it takes more time and work. Since you will need to alternate the used organic pest control spray every 3 days gap to 1 week gap. It is because when used regularly without alternate, the pest will become immune to the used organic pest control spray. 

That is why I strongly suggest for beginners to do their homework in studying their plant before start planting. As early work is crucial for the long run. For me, I still have much more to learn on gardening works especially when using organic approach and self sustainability. If I can do it, so do you. 

Till then, have fun in germinating and planting your chili plant at home. 


Note:

*I tend to stop helping those who never want to listen to my gardening advice. In my way in taking care of myself and reserving my energy. Which I would suggest for them to seek certified personnel in agriculture instead. Since I only learn based on experience. 

References :

[1] Aphids attack under my lada basah (large chili) leaves https://serinurulbeauty.blogspot.com/2020/10/the-of-back-of-my-lada-besar-chili.html

[2] Close up mealybugs on longan brazil fruit https://serinurulbeauty.blogspot.com/2018/02/white-flies-on-longan-brazil-fruit-today.html

[3] The look of my bitten lada basah (large chili) fruit https://serinurulbeauty.blogspot.com/2020/10/putting-on-cover-to-my-bitten-lada.html

[4] The difference between my cili padi (birds eye chili) and cili ungu (purple chili) https://serinurulbeauty.blogspot.com/2019/02/colour-difference-between-flower-of-my.html

No comments:

Post a Comment