Links

Monday, July 15, 2019

Paper wasp on my banana leaf.

This is taken last 3 July 2019. The paper wasp was stopping on my pisang lemak manis (banana) leaf.




Most wasps are beneficial in their natural habitat, and are critically important in natural biocontrol. Paper wasps feed on nectar and other insects, including caterpillars, flies, and beetle larvae. Because they are a known pollinator and feed on known garden pests, paper wasps are often considered to be beneficial by gardeners [1].
I do need to be careful since it sting can be quite fatal to human [1]. Which means would be the same to cats. I am very fortunate since my cats is kept indoors and only let out under my supervision.  Not advisable to let it roam around house compound if you have little ones at home.
Despite it is a good pollinator to my plants, still not as good as bees and stingless bees. I am still in search for its hive in order to find ways to relocate them. 
That is why I found it is very important to be able to identify types of insects that roam around my house compound. In order to know whether to keep or to deter it away.
Till then, have fun in identifying insects in your house compound.

Reference:
[1] Paper wasp from wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_wasp

No comments:

Post a Comment