Links

Thursday, July 9, 2020

My self made washable face mask with adjustable earloop

This is taken in the evening of 8 July 2020. Where I am able to muster my concentration to make washable face mask. My effort and attempt to reduce cost from spending on disposable face mask. Plus I am able to choose desired fabric, pattern with desired thickness and etc.
I decided to go with yellow colour theme. In order to complement my Batgirl printed  cotton fabric. This is my design number 1.
The look of me wearing the hand sewn washable face mask.
I choose to use long string to get adjustable earloop instead of stretchable or elastic head band. Since the long string more convenient and easier for me to use, being a hijab user.
The look of the adjustable earloop from the back.




Close up look on the finished hand sewn face mask.
Close up on the filter pocket layer. I used the available remnants that I manage to secure from one of my barter trade session last November 2019. The Batgirl printed cotton fabric is from my existing fabric. Basically I am using the available materials in hands. Can use any fabrics that you like based on pattern, type, thickness, layers and etc.


Comparison size between my current blue washable face mask. Where my blue face mask is using stretchable or elastic head band. Can see my self made washable face mask is larger in size.

Close up on the current and new stopper for my long string. I choose the new stopper to match my yellow theme face mask.
My mouse shape stopper with yellow colour to complement my yellow theme.
To be frank, it took me 2 hours to finished making this washable face mask. Since it is my first time making it. Which I draw myself the pattern or template from scratch using empty A4 paper+pen+my old sewing ruler+paper scissors. And it is hand sewn all the way due to no available sewing machine. I also notice that I have to continuously refer the chosen pattern or template. Especially during cuttng and sewing process. As an attempt to reduce mistake. But I did wrongly cut the printed fabric upside down on the early cutting part. Have to cut new one to get the above result. Also have to check continuously the notes during sewing to combine the fabrics used. In order to avoid from mistake such as inside out part or upside down of the fabric when sew them together.
Regardless, I have happy with my first attempt making my own washable face mask. Despite no sewing machine available at home. Really comfortable wearing it with my hijab. Since I am able to easily adjust while wearing it externally. Compare to my previous face mask that use stretchable or elastic head band. Which I tend to get hair strands coming out at the side of my hijab when wearing face mask with elastic strap. Plus the size is wider compare to my blue elastic face mask. Able to cover down to my chin and up to my nose bridge.
Till then, have fun in making your own washable face mask with adjustable earloop.

Reference:
[1] My red coloured face mask using old torn t-shirt with elastic hair band https://serinurulbeauty.blogspot.com/2020/07/my-red-coloured-hand-sewn-face-mask.html

No comments:

Post a Comment