Links

Friday, February 16, 2018

Basic car maintenance that every car user need to know

Regardless I am a female, I still need to know basic knowledge and skills in maintaining my car. 
I have been taking care of my late father Mitsubishi pajero last time from year 2007 to 2008 [1]. I
 think it is model produced in 1983 with 2.0 liter petrol [2]. But ours do not have ladder at the back.
Picture taken during massive flood in Batu Pahat in year 2007 [2].

Among of basic car safety checklist:
  • Tyres – ensure tyres are at the correct pressures, check treadwear
  • Car radiator coolant level. The one that most of my aunt's flaw ever since I am in my 1st year degree. Her's dried out. Ever since that, I always check her radiator coolant level each time I am using her car and other Aunt's car
  • Spare tyre & jack – ensure they are operational, check toolkit
*Can know/learn more in my car maintenance short course later

Additional tools I have in my car:
  • jumper cables to jump start car if battery died
  • tyre pump [3]
  • basic toolkit to open the tyre nut (normally comes within the car after purchase a new unit. For older unit or second hand car, need to check before buy the unit)
The look of my tire inflator that able to fit in my handbag or laptop bag [3].
To be frank, this tyre pump is really such a life saver. My car tyre flatten last time when I about to go back home [4]. Fortunately I manage to notice it early while driving the car. And manage to stop before further damage on the tyre. And I am very lucky my lab mate were driving on my back. So, we leave the car and decided to handle it the next day. I decided to look for pump tyre instead. As would be lots of hassle for me to change tyre. So, I use the pump tyre to pump the flatten tyre. And directly went to the workshop to mend the puncture. I am able to use back the flatten tyre. Since less damage on it. And change it around 2-3 months after I get my project claim. Still, that pump tyre save me a lot and helps me to survive until I get my claim. Ever since, the pump tyre always remain in my car trunk. It also helps to pump my bicycle tyres last 2 weeks after my hand pump tyre broken. Talk about multiple usage 😉.

Additional info on tire or tyre [5]:
In British English both spellings are correct, but both words mean totally different things.

In all of the English speaking world, the word tire when used as a verb means to become exhausted/sleepy.

In Britain and many other Commonwealth nations, the word tyre is a noun, it's the word we use for the outer rubber part of a vehicle wheel.  For example, a bicycle tyre, or a car tyre.  In the USA the word tyre is spelt tire.

Till then, have fun in maintaining your car 😉.

References:
[4] Definition of flat tire https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_tire

No comments:

Post a Comment