Links

Saturday, December 23, 2017

My journey climbing Mount Kinabalu in 2011

Last January 2011, my sister give me an unforgettable present. That is a hiking trip to climb Mount Kinabalu [1]. Mount Kinabalu is the highest peak or mountain in Malaysia and located in Sabah [1].

I have done few research before my trip climbing Gunung Kinabalu.
Among of them:
  1. To use hiking shoes for better grip
  2. Use glove for winter and robust for climbing
  3. Ask few friends on their experience. One of my colleague in Siemens last time did advise me to force myself to eat after wake up before climbing to the top. As she just eat energy bar and end up shivering with hunger and cold. As the journey consume much energy which require solid food intake before the journey
  4. To use head lamps as I will need my hands during the climbing part to the peak
The sad part is I am unable to do any exercise to prepare myself before the climbing expedition😣 As that time I am still working in Siemens and their new fiscal year start from October. Therefore, there is plenty of work to be done. And I even have to stay back late to finish the works.

The best part of this trip is I am surrounded with 7 medical doctors. So, basically all basic medicine stock covered by them already. Very lucky of me😌
Entering the foot of Mount Kinabalu














The girl for the trip. The one who wear skirts do her houseman in Russia. for her, the coldness in Mount Kinabalu is like air conditioning cold only. Envy of her


Use with the hiking stick that come with the package


Me at Timpohon Gate [2]
"Timpohon Gate at Kinabalu Park is the primary entry point to climb Gunung Kinabalu - 9km on the summit trail to Low's Peak with Laban Rata located along the way. This is the first checkpoint taken by climbers in the morning located about 4 km away from the park's office but accessible by road" [2].









Till didn't wear sweater here since it still not that cold





Squirrel here very docile. They come immediately when they hear plastic unwrapped sound. They seem to be used of people giving them food


Able to see the misty fog here


I am using rain coat since it is a bit drizzling that time. Can see how tough the trail on the right side of this picture

These pictures below taken around 6 am in the morning. After we start climbing to the peak around 2.30 am in the morning. We need to wake up around 2 am to eat breakfast to fuel up before the journey to the peak.









I have many pictures during this time as my guider help to take it for me. He advise me to stop hiking to the peak since my pace very slow. Basically, we were just around 2 km from Sayat Sayat point [3). But it is a very steep place.
There is one part climbing down from this area where my feet suddenly give away and my guider who climbing down at the back immediately put his hand on my buttock to stop me from falling 😅. Thinking back now, I don't blame him since that is the biggest part of my body for him to use that time 😅.
I think after my trip, there is people who died after falling from this area [3, 4].

Me at Sayat Sayat point [5], last check point before climbing to the peak of Mount Kinabalu
If you get mount sickness here and want to be carried by guider to go Labah Rata [6], the rate at time is RM 1,000.00. As the trail is very steep here.







Can see how steep the trail is at my back







Able to see village at the right of this picture






At the stairs towards our lodging/cabin





The lodging/cabin that we sleep in is on the right of the picture

Us in Laban Rata



Me with Tan Sri Abdul Kadir bin Sheikh Fadzir [7]. Meet him on my way back to the foot of Mount Kinabalu
I stumble on him on my hiking way down Mount Kinabalu in 2011. He is Tan Sri Abdul Kadir bin Sheikh Fadzir [7]. He is a former Minister of Information (2004 - 2006) in the Cabinet [7]. What is impressive to me is he could still climb up Mount Kinabalu at his age. He told me that climbing Mount Kinabalu is annual activity for him.




My black and white climbing certificate. Solid proof that I have climb Mount Kinabalu. Coloured ones only for those who manage to climb the peak
What makes me feel proud is one of my colleague at work were inspired by me after heard my experience. And she did manage to climb the mountain almost half a year after me. At that time, she already have 4 kids. It is good for her to manage to climb it before 40 also 😉 Plus most of my tips being used by her entirely.

I think nowadays it is getting longer to wait for turn to climb Mount Kinabalu. Since climbing it requires permit [8]. Plus last 3 months when I check it, only hiking trip for middle 2019 is available.

Till then, have fun in planning to climb Mount Kinabalu😉

References:

No comments:

Post a Comment