Links

Saturday, November 10, 2018

My verdict after frequent usage of pressure cooker in daily basis.

For the past 20 years, I have used and tried plenty of cooking tools such as

  • oven, 
  • microwave, 
  • microwave oven, 
  • steamer, 
  • slow cooker,  
  • multi cooker and 
  • pressure cooker.
I finally settle down with ultimate cooking tool if I have to choose only one from the above list. That is a pressure cooker. If it is chosen wisely for correct model, I would think you can eliminate the need of steamer, microwave, oven and even air fryer.
Basic function in the existing pressure cooker that I currently using, ELBA EPC 6000SS :
  • Rice
  • Salted roasted chicken
  • Cake
  • Meat
  • Tendon/bean
  • Congee/soup
  • Capacity: 6 liter
  • Power: 1000 Watt
  • Only comes with 1 non stick pot
*this pressure cooker is given to the lab by one of lecturers who is member to the lab.

I would prefer a pressure cooker with :
  • Steam function/mode
  • Slow cook function/mode
  • Sauté function/mode
  • Timers that enable cooking time to be delayed up to 24 hours. Which means you  can set what time you need the food to finished cooking
  • Stainless steel pot accessory
  • Steamer rack accessory
However for such function and accessories, tend to priced from RM 350 up to RM 950. I manage to get one closed to above requirement. Which is All-In-One Philips HD 2137 pressure cooker with 6 liter capacity [9].

I have tried to make bingka ubi using cake function of the existing pressure cooker, but fail. As I found that I need steam function to make bingka ubi in a pressure cooker. Based from feedback of other colleagues who owned Noxxa brand pressure cooker.

Although the current one I used do not have such extra function and accessories, I have manage to make few dishes out of the existing one:
  • Beef soup [2].
  • Pumpkin cake [3].
  • Nasi lemak [4]. The clear look of the pressure cooker model is in here.
  • Custard bread pudding [5].
  • Improvised steamed beef with bonglai and soy sauce [6].
Personally, I would think that pressure cooker would assist a lot for people like:
  • single person like me. I usually frozen the extra ones for my next consumption
  • family of 4 to 6 person, 
  • busy working person who always skipped lunch. As my nasi lemak cooking method suits such people [4].
  • Elderly who no longer have strong teeth. As beef and lamb easily cooked to tender texture after 1 hour time.
  • Sick people who have to cook by themselves,
  • Newly wedded couple. As they able to cook plenty of things using this single item less than 1 hour time.
One of my colleague even swayed by the efficiency of the pressure cooker to cook tender meat up to 87.5%. As I am able to get tender cooked meat within 30 minutes only  Which I end up become his consulant engineer (more technical than personal shopper) to shop one for him😆.
He is jealous seeing me bring good cooked food each time I have the energy to cook. As I keep on telling that I just throw everything that I have measured in the pressure cooker before leave it to take bath for work. Which I usually do after I finished tending after my plants and cats. I even manage to bring the cooked food in the pressure cooker. Since I found it much easier to warm it up whenever I am in the lab. Plus, save time from transfering it to other container. Also spill proof when doing this way.
My colleague wanted to cook his own meal. As my cooking style is not up to his taste. Regardless it is edible to him😆.
Able to reheat 2 dishes and 1 rice bowl in 1 go.
This shows the creativity of one pressure cooker user. Where she able to reheat 2 dishes and 1 bowl in one shot. Suitable for those who prefer not to use the available microwave in office pantry. Since the microwave also be used by others to reheat  including non halal food. Also to avoid the side effect in using microwave to reheat food to our body [7].

Till then, have fun cooking with your pressure cooker for your daily food consumption.

References:
[2] Beef soup last December 2017 https://serinurulbeauty.blogspot.com/2017/12/hot-soup-for-supper-during-night-work.html
[3] Pumpkin cake last January 2018 https://serinurulbeauty.blogspot.com/2018/01/pumpkin-cake-in-lab-today-baked-and.html
[4] Nasi lemak last March 2018 https://serinurulbeauty.blogspot.com/2018/03/cooking-nasi-lemak-as-breakfast-today.html
[5] Custard bread pudding https://serinurulbeauty.blogspot.com/2018/10/the-pretty-look-of-my-bread-pudding.html
[6] Improvised steamed beef with bonglai and soy sauce https://serinurulbeauty.blogspot.com/2018/11/improvised-pressure-cook-beef-with.html
[7] Side effect reheat food using microwave https://venasnews.co.ke/2018/01/11/side-effects-of-heating-food-using-a-microwave/
[8] Reason of my current obsession with  electric pressure cooker https://serinurulbeauty.blogspot.com/2018/11/about-my-current-obsession-in-using.html
[9] My precious All-In-One (AIO) Philips HD 2137 with 6 liter capacity last May 2020 https://serinurulbeauty.blogspot.com/2020/05/received-my-precious-philips-hd-2137.html

No comments:

Post a Comment